Thursday, February 8, 2007

So hot, so dry...

After a week in the desert I've realized that when everyone was saying "Drink lots of water" when I got here, they weren't kidding. I spent yesterday in a nausious stupor. Sorry to Brian, Nic, and Kris for having to put up with that cranky little bitch.

Anyways, Tuesday we started out on the Warm Up Boulder. I did a fun V1, 2, & 3. We joked around with some French Canadians and then went back on tour with Pete to East Spur for Nic to do Better Eat Your Wheaties, which he did, um, "very nice".


Then we headed back to Rumble in the Jungle for Brian. It has yet to go, but we've discovered the power a good butt squeeze has over a sagging core, and it should go any second now. He's going back tomorrow to put it in the bag.

Near by I found a big wall of cave art....



I like finding all the hidden paintings through out the park. It makes you feel like your back in prehistoric times in this rock jungle. There's no real history in Minnesota, so this gets me really excited to see painting made 10,000 years ago.

In between Brian's burns on Rumble we went over to the French Tickler Wall. SUPER teeny, sharp crimps! It hurt just feeling the holds, but the wall it super cool anyway...



Then we went over to The Long Haul for Kris. He had worked on the last tour, but just needed to hook it up. In about 4 tries he sent. I only have a video of it, so I might have to post it on YouTube and put in a link later. I've been taking more and more videos with my little camera and it performs sweetly!

After Kris swept up Long Haul I did The Weenie Roast; a straight forward V4 on a facing boulder. It had kicked my ass the other day and left me totally disheartened, because I knew I should have flashed it. When I sat down that day I did and felt much better about myself.

On the way out we went back to Jingus Bells, a super tall V5 with a dyno at the top. It's more like a route than a boulder problem. There's a boulder right next to it, so if you are too pumped to pull the dyno at the end you can just step off, but it's still very psychologically sketchy.



The next day we started down at the Mushroom Boulder. Nic needed to work a problem call Accupressure before the sun got on it and warmed up a black sloper on the crux of the problem. Again, I just shot video, so some day there might be a link here.

Kris was ready to give up on Mushroom Roof just because he didn't get it in his first four tries. Brian talked him back in to trying it a few more times and he almost sent it. He was getting over the lip, but slipping off the second sloper. I'm sure he'll get it before we leave.

I did Local Flakes, a fun V2, even if I couldn't reach the start holds with out folding my pad. It was about all I was up to doing that day, I was so dried out from the sun.



Then we went up top of North for Brian to try Barefoot on Sacred Ground again. No go, but Oh so close! No pics, just vid. Mmm, I'm gonna have to start switching it up a bit or my blog will be more words than pictures.... We didn't do much this day because it's getting so warm out. We're getting baked in the sun and it just zaps your energy right out of you. We did see a little red fox when Brian was trying Barefoot. It ran between two boulders, stopped and looked at us, and the ran off too quick for me to get to my camera. That's the first bit of "wild life" we've seen this trip, besides a little lizard at Pete's camp.

This morning we went to the Vista Mercado for sumptuous Mexican donuts, mmm, donuts.... Nic bought a Fruit by the Foot roll of gum so that Brian could put it all in his mouth at once.


So that's it for right now. I'll post again when I can. Hope it's warming up in MN, I'm not getting off the plane until it does...Lynn & Kris

No comments: